A Dental hygienist specialise in preventative oral care, with their focus on ensuring you keep your natural teeth for as long as possible.
In the UK the number one cause of tooth loss in adults is gum disease. The hygienist will focus on removing the plaque and tarter present on your teeth which if left can lead to gum disease, tooth decay and potentially tooth loss. They will also be able to provide individually tailored oral hygiene plans to ensure that you have the right tools and techniques to care for your teeth in between visits.
The hygienist may give advice on lifestyle changes which could help to improve the health of your teeth and gums, for example smoking. Smoking will have a detrimental effect on your teeth, increasing the risk of gum disease and staining. They may also give dietary advice on reducing the number of times you have sugary food and drink throughout the day.
The hygienist is able to perform a number of procedures including
- Demonstrations on effective tooth brushing techniques to remove plaque without causing tooth wear and receding gums.
- Discussions on the latest oral hygiene products.
- Advice on the best aid to clean in-between teeth
- Detailed explanation of periodontal disease.
- Removal of plaque and hard tarter deposits.
- Discussion on the secondary factors that cause (periodontal) gum disease, for example smoking and diabetes.
- Discussion on how (periodontal) gum disease could affect or complicate other health problems, for example heart disease.
- Prevention of tooth decay and erosion
- Diet advice on how to reduce sugary and acidic food and drink.
- Advice on fluoride and apply fluoride varnishes to help remineralise early signs of tooth decay.
- Polishing the teeth to remove food and drink stain.
- Helping to change red and inflamed gums to a healthy pink.
- Stopping gums from bleeding when brushing.
- Preventing teeth from becoming mobile and drifting.
- Preventing unpleasant tastes and bad breath caused by the damaging bacteria in the mouth.
By having regular hygienist appointments it is possible to help change red and inflamed gums to a healthy pink, prevent teeth from becoming mobile and drifting and prevent gums from bleeding when they are brushed.
In between appointments
In between appointments with our hygienists, the team at The Essex Smile Centre would advise you follow our simple steps to help keep your teeth healthy.
- Use a medium toothbrush (preferably electric Braun oral-B) with a rounded head
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months
- Brush twice daily. Last thing at night and before breakfast in the morning
- Use toothpaste with fluoride and always place the toothpaste on a dry brush
- Try to floss daily at night before brushing
- Avoid tobacco products
- Avoid excessive alcohol use
Call today to find out what our excellent team of hygienists can do for you, call The Essex Smile Centre today on 01268 742333 and book your appointment now.