Teeth cleaning tips during lockdown
At this time, when we are being advised to stay at home, you may find yourself giving into temptation and snacking more than you would usually.
One thing to remember is that it’s not the amount of sugar you eat or drink but how often you do it. Most of us enjoy sweet treats but remember to have them just at mealtimes to help reduce tooth decay.
To help keep your teeth and gums healthy during this lockdown period, our dental hygienist Jen Rawlinson has provided the following top tips for you to follow:
- Brush twice a day for at least 3 minutes especially before bed.
- Ideally brush with an electric toothbrush – they get to the hard to reach places more effectively than a manual toothbrush.
- Brush with a toothpaste containing fluoride to help keep teeth strong.
- Do not rinse after brushing. Instead, just spit.
- Do not brush your teeth after consuming acidic foods or beverages (e.g. fruit or fizzy drinks). Wait at least 45 minutes before brushing your teeth.
- Don’t forget to clean in between your teeth with floss or interdental brushes.
Stay safe and keep brushing!
Jen Rawlinson, Dental Hygienist